(45) Southeast corner of Main and Second Streets

SE corner of Main and Second"The George Pedersen building was on the corner of Main and Second. An apartment upstairs was his home. He operated a wagon shop on the first floor, and in the rear Ernest Niksch had a blacksmith shop. Niksch also had a blacksmith shop on Main Street on the lake (114 Main St.). Dr. Storer, Dr. Markle, and Dr. Pruitt had offices in the building after Pedersen left. Northern Indiana Public Service Company offices were here before they built across the street. At one time the Hobart License Bureau also was here. A new building on the site is Edward's Store for Men (201 Main St.)."

Images (links open in a new window):
♦ The Pedersen building on November 29, 1913.
♦ A then-and-now post showing the Pedersen building.
♦ The Harrigan real estate and insurance office in the Pedersen building in 1966; and a nice photo of the whole building in September 1968.
♦ By 1973 Edward's menswear store had relocated from the Strattan building to this corner.
♦ By 1983 Edward's had become Greener's.

No comments: