(46) Middle of 200 block of Main Street, east side (northerly part)

Mid-200 east northerly"A tinsmith and plumbing shop occupied a building at the rear of the next lot. Walker's Print Shop once rented rooms here. The next land on the east side of the 200 block of Main Street was Killigrew and Black property. The Joseph Black brick building was built in 1858. Here he operated a trading post and for 8 years (1861-1869) the Hobart post office. Black's son, Fred, continued the store and old timers recall, as boys, seining minnows and selling them to Black for his bait supply. The business was closed in the 1920s. Later a grocery store was located in this area. The Black building was razed in 1935 and the Hobart Post Office (221 Main St.) was built in 1937 on the Black and Killigrew property. (Leon Killigrew was Joseph Black's grandson.)"

Images (links open in a new window):
♦ This circa-1935 view takes in much of the 200 block of Main Street, including where the post office is now located.
♦ The future site of the Hobart post office on September 18, 1935. The photographer stood in the alley behind the post office site and pointed his camera west toward Main Street.
♦ Sometime in 1960 the Hobart Herald printed this article about the removal of the Killigrew house from 205 Main.
♦ This 1969 yearbook ad gives the address for Walker Printing as 205 Main.

No comments: