Sanborn Maps

Thanks to the Sanborn Company, Indiana University, Historical Information Gatherers, Inc., and the IndianaView consortium, I am able to bring you the Sanborn fire insurance maps of Hobart from 1895 through 1922.

These are just a few of many Sanborn maps that became available recently via the Indiana Spatial Data Portal on IU's website (http://gis.iu.edu/). IU's November 7, 2011 press release states: "Considered a treasure trove of American history sought after by genealogists, urban planners, sociologists and a gamut of other researchers, Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, first created beginning in 1867 for assessing fire insurance liability for buildings in U.S. cities, are now available to the public for more than 300 locations in Indiana." The pre-1924 maps, now in the public domain, may be downloaded from the site with no use restrictions.


To view the full-size maps in the list below, click on the icon to the left of the description, or on the title of the map. The image will open in a new window.

The first map in any year's series includes a key, an index to streets and named buildings, and an overview showing all the areas depicted in that series in relation to each other.


1895
1895, Map 11895, Map 1
♦ Overview of all 1895 maps.
♦ Lake Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets.
♦ Northern downtown, from Second Street north to the Deep River, from Lake George east to Duck Creek.
1895, Map 21895, Map 2
♦ Central downtown, from the Nickel Plate railroad tracks north to Second, and from Lake George east to East Street.
1895, Map 31895, Map 3
♦ The Kulage brickyard north of downtown, between Old Ridge Road (formerly known as Chicago Road), N. Lake Park Avenue (fka Lake Avenue), and the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne & Chicago R.R. (Pennsy).
♦ Eastern downtown, from East Street east to Duck Creek, from below Fourth Street (including the Hobart Township school) north almost to Second Street.
♦ An icehouse on the north shore of Lake George near the dam.
1895, Map 41895, Map 4
♦ The Hobart Terra Cotta Works (later known as the National Fireproofing Company, or Natco), north of the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne & Chicago (Pennsy) R.R. and east of Lake Park Avenue.
♦ East of downtown, including Union, Georgiana and Lillian Streets, Linda, Illinois and Indiana Streets, and featuring old Augustana Church, the Pennsy Depot, the Scharbach Lumber Co., and the Bowen Foundry.

1902
1902, Map 11902, Map 1
♦ Overview of all 1902 maps.
♦ Lake Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets; and northern downtown, from Second Street north to the Deep River, from Lake George east to Duck Creek.
1902, Map 21902, Map 2
♦ Central downtown, from the Nickel Plate railroad tracks north to Second Street, and from Lake George east to East Street.
1902, Map 31902, Map 3
♦ Eastern downtown, from East Street east to Duck Creek, from below Fourth Street (including the Hobart Township school) north almost to Second Street.
♦ Fifth and Main Streets, including the First Unitarian Church and the Nickel Plate railroad tracks.
♦ Exact locations unclear: an icehouse and two slaughterhouses beside Lake George.
♦ Near Sixth and Main Streets, southeast of the EJ&E railroad tracks, the Quaker Canning & Preserving Co.
1902, Map 41902, Map 4
♦ East of downtown, including Union, Georgiana and Lillian Streets, Linda, Illinois and Indiana Streets, and featuring old Augustana Church, the Pennsy Depot, the Scharbach Lumber Co., and the Bowen Foundry.
1902, Map 51902, Map 5
♦ The Kulage and National Fire Proofing Co. brickyards at Lake Park Avenue and Old Ridge Road, with the Pennsy railroad tracks running between them.


1910
1910, Map 11910, Map 1
♦ Overview of all 1910 maps.
♦ Northern downtown, from Second Street north to the Deep River, from Lake George east to Duck Creek.
1910, Map 21910, Map 2
♦ Central downtown, from the Nickel Plate railroad tracks north to Second Street, and from Lake George east to East Street.
1910, Map 31910, Map 3
♦ South of downtown: Main Street from the Nickel Plate railroad tracks south to the "J" railroad tracks, including the Smith & Stoddard whip factory; State and Lake Streets between Fifth and Seventh Streets, and a short stretch of north Water Street; Fifth, Sixth and Sevenths Streets from Main west to State or Lake Street.
1910, Map 41910, Map 4
♦ Eastern downtown, from East Street east to Duck Creek, from below Fourth Street (including the Hobart Township school) north almost to Second Street.
♦ Ice house on the west side of Lake George, just north of Third Street.
♦ A slaughterhouse on the shore of Lake George, one-half mile southwest of the intersection of Third and Center Streets (neither this map nor the overview makes clear exactly where this structure was).
♦ A factory on the west side of S. Indiana Street south of Franklin Street.
1910, Map 51910, Map 5
♦ East of downtown, including Union, Georgiana and Lillian Streets, Linda, Illinois and Indiana Streets, and featuring old Augustana Church, the Pennsy Depot, the Scharbach Lumber Co., and the Hobart Foundry.
1910, Map 61910, Map 6
♦ The Kulage and National Fire Proofing Co. brickyards at Lake Park Avenue and Old Ridge Road, with the Pennsy railroad tracks running between them.

1922
1922, Map 11922, Map 1
♦ An overview of the areas shown in Maps 2 – 10, with key and index.
1922, Map 21922, Map 2
♦ The Kulage and National Fire Proofing Co. brickyards at Lake Park Avenue and Old Ridge Road, with the Pennsy railroad tracks running between them.
1922, Map 31922, Map 3
♦ Northern downtown, from Second Street north to the Deep River, from Lake George east to Duck Creek.
♦ The Composite Metal Lath Co. on the south side of the Chicago road (now Old Ridge Road) two miles northwest of the intersection of Third and Center Streets (exact location not clear from map).
♦ On the west bank of Lake George, an ice house on the north side of Third Street, and the streetcar barn on the south side.
1922, Map 41922, Map 4
♦ The residential area northeast of downtown known as "Canada," including Michigan, North Linda and North Illinois Streets and parts of Cleveland and Home Avenues.
1922, Map 51922, Map 5
♦ Central downtown, from the Nickel Plate railroad tracks north to Second Street, and from Lake George east to East Street.
1922, Map 61922, Map 6
♦ East of downtown, including Union, Georgiana, and Lillian Streets (and a short section of Cleveland), Linda, Illinois and Indiana Streets, and featuring old Augustana Church, the Pennsy Depot and the Scharbach Lumber Co.
♦ A carpenter's shop (formerly a factory) on the west side of S. Indiana Street south of Franklin Street.
1922, Map 71922, Map 7
♦ The residential area northeast of the Pennsy Depot, including Cleveland, Devonshire, Ella and Lillian, and Indiana, Ohio and Chicago Streets.
1922, Map 81922, Map 8
♦ The residential area southwest of downtown, from Lake George east to State Street, including parts of Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Streets.
1922, Map 91922, Map 9
♦ Eastern downtown, from East Street east to Duck Creek, from below Fourth Street (including the Hobart Township school) north almost to Second Street.
♦ The residential/business area south of downtown, between the Nickel Plate railroad tracks and the intersection of Main and Lincoln Streets, including State, Main, southern Center and northern Lincoln, and parts of Fifth, Sixth and Sevenths Streets, and featuring the First Unitarian Church, the Foster Lumber & Coal Co. and a cement block manufacturing company (those last two are now owned by Hobart Lumber Co.).
1922, Map 101922, Map 10
♦ The residential area south of downtown, including State, Lincoln, Garfield and Linda, and parts of Seventh, Main and Eighth Streets, almost as far south as Ninth; this map shows most of Joryville.