(37) Southwest corner, Center and Front Streets

SW corner of Center and Front"This corner once boasted a small store or trading post. When George Earle came to the locality to establish the town of Hobart he bought all the land nearby, built a log house and, with Henry Sylvester Smith, a sawmill. In 1847, he built a grist mill on the site now occupied by Gary National Bank (66 Main St.). Another Earle building was Earle's Art Gallery, built in 1858. St. Bridget's purchased this for their first church in 1874. This area, block 35 and 36 on the town plat, was called 'Earle's Reserve.'"

Images (links open in a new window):
♦ The Catholic parsonage, previously the home of the Augustus Wood family, stood on this corner before the present St. Bridget Church (image undated, but probably circa 1907-1912).

No comments: