(16) 538 – 534 E. Third Street

538-534 E Third"The Guyer Building, built in 1897, had living quarters upstairs and downstairs housed a variety store and grocery. From 1910 until 1923 the Hobart Post Office was on the east side and Sauter and Mackeldy, then Brand and Fleck, and later Sothmans ran a grocery store on the west side. Peter Bates used the east side as a candy store before he moved to Main Street. Then W.B. Mitchell had a hardware store here before he moved to Illinois and Georgianna. Now Streight's T.V. and Appliances uses the entire first floor. A dentist office was on the second floor and a chiropractor had offices here."

Images (links open in a new window):
♦ The Guyer Building was new when this photo was taken in 1897 or 1898. (That image was printed in May 1898 along with this biographical sketch of Mr. Guyer and his building.)
♦ A street view that includes the Guyer Building as post office. The image is undated, but the scarcity of autos on the street suggests it was taken closer to 1910 than 1923.
♦ The Brand & Fleck grocery store circa 1928.
♦ The Guyer Building as it appeared in an advertisement in 1962.
♦ A photo of the installation of new traffic lights downtown caught a nice view of the Guyer Building in July 1968.

No comments: