(75) 342 Main Street

342 Main"The next little building was a cigar store and later a barber shop. There was another small building next to it that was Odell's Jewelry Store where Mrs. Odell also sold her homemade ice cream. When the jewelry store moved across the street a number of proprietors operated a restaurant in the building. Mrs. Margaret Fleck had a fancy work shop here which was sold to Kittredge's Fabric Shop who later moved to Third Street when the buildings were torn down and the Hobart Development Corp. built the shop for Kellen's Florist (342 Main St.)."

Images (links open in a new window):
♦ In this street scene (undated, but probably early 1900s), you can see the original structure, torn down to make way for the present one; it is the one-story building with the awning, just right of center.
♦ The same building served as Hobart's "centennial headquarters" in 1947.
♦ The House of Fabrics in 1961, still in the original building.
♦ Inside Kellen's Florist in 1975.

No comments: